Dr. Bernhard Riedel is the Director of Anaesthetics and Pain Medicine at Peter MacCallum Cancer Center, in Melbourne Australia (2010 – present). Prior to that he spent 10 years in the U.S.A. as a Professor of Anesthesiology at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee and at the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. While at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center he also served as Vice Chair for the Department of Anesthesiology, and served on the Clinical Council and President’s Advisory Board. This was preceded by 5 years as a Consultant Cardiothoracic Anaesthetist at the Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Trust in London, U.K.
Bernhard was raised in Zimbabwe and completed his undergraduate and postgraduate medical training in South Africa. On completing his postgraduate training at the University of Cape Town he moved to the UK to do a fellowship in cardiovascular anesthesia and clinical research at the Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Trust in London. He graduated with a Ph.D. from the University of London and a MBA from the University of Tennessee. As an academic anaesthesiologist he has:
- Clinical Experience: >15 years experience in predominantly cardiothoracic, transplantation and cancer anaesthesia and related critical care medicine.
- Publications: >70 peer-reviewed publications (including editor of a comprehensive textbook on Acute Care for the Cancer Patient) and >100 scientific abstracts.
- Research: >30 funded grants as principal, associate investigator, and/or mentor for several international clinical and translational trials; with main focus on ischaemia-reperfusion injury, the role of endothelial (dys)function (and its modulation) in postoperative outcomes, and the impact of anaesthesia on cancer outcomes.
- Lectures: >50 international lectures at conferences and symposiums, including difficult airway workshops and transoesophageal echocardiography workshops.
- Editorial and Scientific Advisory Board: Roles including, editorial board e.g. The Patient Safety Editorial Board for the American Society of Anesthesiologists, reviewer for leading journals, and advisory board for pharmaceutical companies.
- Awards: Recipient of 12 research and teaching awards and holder of 2 scientific patents